Monday, August 22, 2011

...thoughts on a final letter

Jack Layton's last letter to Canada

Reading Jack Layton's last letter to Canada this morning stirred something up.

If, God forbid, I am ever in the same situation as he was, I'd like...

- to be so aware of my position and my surroundings, instead of lost in a haze of fear.
- to be so focused on what needs to be done, instead of dwelling on what has happened.
- to think about others, instead of worrying about myself.
- to be a source of encouragement for those around me, instead of wallowing in despair.
- to be able to be so optimistic about the future, instead of begging or bargaining for more time.
- to be as thankful, instead of bitter.
- to have as much dignity and class.
- to feel only the hope, the love, and the optimism.

The reason that this letter stirred something up is because not only is it an inspiration about dealing with the end of life, but more so, how to live a good life, each and every day.

RIP Mr. Layton

No comments:

Post a Comment