Tuesday, July 12, 2011

...summer show #1

It looks like I'm staying in the city this summer - which I'm okay with seeing as I've been to three different cities so far in 2011 - so I've taken my travel budget and bought my share of tickets to different concerts and shows going on in July and August.

The first concert of the summer was in late June though, as part of the Winnipeg Jazz Festival.  Last year my dad discovered Trombone Shorty and was instantly a fan, so when I heard he was coming here as part of the Jazz Festival, I surprised my dad with two tickets for Father's Day.

The concert was held at West End Cultural Centre, and it was my first time there since their major renovations.  It's a pretty impressive venue now, much nicer than the cramped, dark place that I remember from my early 20s.  It was sold out that night too, with quite an eclectic crowd, from teenagers to seniors all lining up outside waiting for the show to start.


And what a show!!!  I've been to a fair amount of concerts over the years, and this was the most intense experience that I have ever had.  This guy does not joke around when it comes to giving people a great performance.  You were literally drawn into the music, moving without even realizing it, and getting worked up as they hit their crescendo.  The entire band played hard and they played loud.  It was also the loudest concert I have ever been to, hands down.  I actually felt bad for some of the older audience members; they ended up having to go out to the lobby and listen.  I made it until the finale, but with a guitar, drums, congas, bass, trombone, and two saxophones going at full blast, it was a little too much for me as well.  My dad and I left just before the encore started, and we couldn't even hear one another talking in the car on the way home, our ears were ringing so loud.

a bit blurry, but the man doesn't really stand still at any point

The ringing ears were so worth this experience though.  Trombone Shorty is an insanely talented musician, switching between the trombone and trumpet effortlessly throughout the night.  He even showed off some circular breathing (first time seeing that live....wow) and has a pretty impressive singing voice as well.  After his version of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get In On", I may have a new crush...

No comments:

Post a Comment