Thursday, July 14, 2011

...a funny lady

Awhile back I bought my first audiobook, Tina Fey's Bossypants.



I've slowly started working out again, which right now includes going for walks at a moderate pace (faster than I would walk through a mall, but not so fast that I look like a speed walker) for roughly 30-40 minutes (lame, I know, but at that point, the tendons in my hip just can't deal with anymore).

So, if in the last month or so, you've been driving around Transcona and witnessed a woman who was walking - alone mind you - suddenly stop and double over in laughter with her hands on her knees, that was probably me.  This book is hilarious and at times crass (I've never heard the phrase "cavernous vagina" before)...which makes it even better in my opinion.

I will easily admit that I'm not a great listener; if I don't write down what is said to me, odds are it will not stick.  So I didn't know if I could focus on an entire book being read aloud, especially while I was walking outside and there are about a thousand other things that could divert my attention.

This was the perfect book to start with though, because it was so light and funny, with lessons mixed into the stories of Tina Fey's past (both at home and on television).  Add in the fact that it was actually HER reading the book, and it became so much more engaging.  In fact, given all of the impressions and additional descriptions that she threw in, I think buying the audiobook may have been the better choice over the actual book.

I'm a huge Tina Fey (and Liz Lemon) fan, and the fact that she herself recorded the book has possibly spoiled all future audiobooks penned by celebrities that are not read by the author themselves, but I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment