Thursday, July 21, 2011

...summer show #2

Yup.....I went to the Britney Spears/Nicki Minaj concert at the beginning of July.
I have a friend who is incredibly good-natured about going along with my various whims - movies I want to see, places/shows I want to check out, weird things I want to try - so she agreed to come to the concert shortly after it was announced.  Now, I have no problem admitting that right around "Slave 4 U", I was pretty much a fan...at least when her songs would come on at the bar...and yeah, that's faded as I neared (and hit) 30, but I had never seen her perform, and figured that this was probably the last time the opportunity would come around, so I paid for one of the very over-priced tickets.  Which got me a fairly good seat, for the record.

(It's easier to see proximity when the lights were on at intermission)

When I first heard Nicki Minaj (a year ago?), I was not impressed.  But with lots of radio play, she's grown on me over time.  She was pretty solid in terms of an opening act.  I did not love (nor really understand) the storyline that went along with her set, but I rarely get why those are included.  The bass in the arena made her lyrics slightly hard to understand at times, but then again....her album is slightly hard to understand on a good day.  I could have also done without her grinding, bathing suit clad back up dancers, but what can you do...


Britney Spears herself......well....it wasn't the worst concert performance I've seen.  Definitely wasn't the best either.  Was she a total train wreck who could barely dance anymore?  No, not at all.  Not sure what's up with her television performances, but this concert did not look like those.  Did she actually sing live at times?  Yes.  Was it all overdone?  Absolutely.  Maybe it's a sign of getting older, but I really don't need the flashy "show" and that's what this was.


Although I will admit that from the head-shaving-umbrellas-through-car-windows-thing to now, she does still look good.

Highlight of the show?  The fact that one of her backup dancers is Jose Ruiz from last season's So You Think You Can Dance.  That's him on the back of the car in the purple.


It's all about the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment