Friday, April 1, 2011

...something I've been listening to

The Tragically Hip.  All day long.

I woke up with Wheat Kings in my head this morning, literally within minutes of my eyes opening.





Then at some point, I switched over to singing Bobcaygeon.




And while I was driving around this afternoon running some errands, I finally ended up with Scared (an all-time favorite).




The first time that I saw the Hip in concert was during the Day for Night tour.  And I had no idea what I was walking into...my friends and I were just excited to go and take a limo to the arena.  I didn't know that there would be people all around us who had been listening to the band for years, who had gone to every concert they performed here in the city, and who knew literally every word to every song like they were anthems....We were probably around 15 at the time, what did we know?

The second and third times were slightly different.  We were slowly becoming those loyal fans who always bought the tickets, and who screamed along with Gord Downie at the top of our lungs.  We didn't know the words to every song yet, but we were getting there.

The last time that I saw the Hip live was when they performed a free concert at the Forks in support of War Child.  There were approximately 80 000 people there (a bit much for my claustrophobia), and I went with my (then) boyfriend and a friend of his.  We went early, or at least we thought we were early, and still ended up miles away from the stage.  But the day was amazing.  They played every song that we had hoped to hear....and I even got a dance out of my guy during Scared (he really was a good sport about my whims).

They've obviously toured since, but I figured that few things could top the last show I saw so I haven't been to see the band since.  Next time though....I'm there.  

1 comment:

  1. I love the Hip. When I'm in a good mood, I find myself singing Boots and Hearts under my breath. I've never seen them live...but I'd really love to!

    ReplyDelete