Saturday, January 22, 2011

...something new


A new decade that is.

I turned 30 this week.  And even though I had been dreading this birthday since the day I turned 29, when the time actually came, I was pretty excited.

Almost everyone that I have talked to who is either in their 30s or beyond, has said that this is THE decade.  This is when you finally come into your own; when you are most comfortable with yourself; when you really start to have the time of your life.

So I'm choosing to believe them all.

I can definitely say that I learned a lot throughout my 20s.  What I will and won't stand for, for both myself and those who are close to me.  What I will and won't apologize for.  What I want to do for the rest of my (working) life.  What I want to accomplish.  What I want to try and explore.  Maybe that means that my 30s will be the time to put all of those things into action.

I saw Jane Fonda on a talk show in the fall (maybe Oprah?) and she spoke of her 30s being the beginning of her second act; her 60s then being the start of her third.  I really liked this idea.

I'm ready for this act.

No comments:

Post a Comment